Monday, September 9, 2013

OK, time to put this book to bed


After a frantic few weeks of editing, amending, updating, adding, deleting and changing parts of the manuscript, my prison chaplaincy memoir is - I hope! - ready for prime time.  Now, for the next week or so, comes the fun and games of formatting it for Kindle e-books and a paperback print edition.  By next week I'll be uploading those and waiting for them to go live.

It's a funny feeling when you reach this point with a book.  You've done your best, you've poured a lot of yourself into it, it's a cherished baby . . . and now you're going to place it into the hands of strangers, hoping they'll like it, and appreciate it.  Some will;  others won't.  All you can do is your best.

I'm going to go and make a celebratory cup of tea, then get down to the formatting.  (That's a huge job in itself, making sure that everything will appear correctly on the screen or page.)  As soon as I finish that job and get it all uploaded, it's on to Maxwell Book 3!  It's strange to realize that by the end of this month, I'll have published close to 275,000 words, with another, longer book still to come.  By the end of the year I'll be up to almost 400,000 words in print.  I hope you all enjoy reading them even more than I've enjoyed writing them.

Peter

7 comments:

MrGarabaldi said...

Hey Peter;

I will buy your book once it is out on kindle. I have enjoyed your Maxwell saga's immensely and am looking forward to your latest offering.

The Great and Powerful Oz said...

The picture showed up this time!

I am very interested in reading this book. I started taking seminary classes a few years ago on a part time basis and I have just come to a major parting of the ways with my church. Since you are an ordained minister, I would appreciate any words of wisdom you would care to share.

Peter said...

@Oz: Best e-mail me, so we can chat in privacy. My e-mail address is in my blog profile.

BD said...

I also am in the formatting stages of my very first e-book, and I understand completely what you are saying. It is a major task, one that I've been working on for three days now. At last I think I have it figured out, and hope to have it published by next week. Good luck on yours.

Anonymous said...

Any idea who the publisher will be? ISBN #?

Peter said...

@John Peddie: I'll be publishing the e-book on Amazon.com and the print edition through CreateSpace. Both will be on Amazon.com (or Amazon.ca in your case). Publication will be in 10 days to 2 weeks from now, unless something happens to delay it by a few days. I'll announce it here, and provide a link.

DaddyBear said...

Really looking forward to reading it. Your memoirs have always been on my "I hope he writes this" list. Now if I can only get oldNFO and LawDog to do the same....