Friday, April 27, 2012

The lost world


That's the title given to this video of Kauai, fourth largest of the Hawaiian Islands.  The creator notes:

This entire film was filmed on the island of Kauai over a 9 day period. The first 3 days were spent hiking the Napali coast, a 11 mile hike along the coast. We did this for 3 days. After this we spent 2 more days exploring the island. I did this with 8 other friends. After the 5 days were up with them, they all flew back to Oahu where everyone was living, and I stayed on the island on my own for 4 more days.

I had a rental truck, that's how I got around. I didn't want to spend money on hotels though, so I slept in the truck, in a Walmart parking lot for the other 4 nights. A lot of cars get broken in on the island of Kauai, according to rumors, so that's why I would camp in the parking lots, so I was a lot more exposed if someone tried to break in where I was sleeping :) That way i wouldn't get robbed, raped, or murdered, ha.

At night when I got done filming, I would go into the only Walmart on the island, where they also have a McDonald's, and I would bum off there wi-fi with my ipod touch, and plot my path for the next day, then I would head out before the break of dawn every morning, and I would get back after sunset to do it all over again.

On a technical side, this was all all shot on the Canon 5D Mark II. Most of the shots were done with the Canon 16-35mm 2.8 L Series lens.

The smooth shots were done with a Glidecam HD-4000.

http://devingraham.blogspot.com

I recommend watching the video in full-screen mode.




Note to videographers and photographers:  take a look at the manufacturer's description of the Glidecam HD series.  It seems like a fascinating product range.  I'll have to point Oleg in their direction.

Peter

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

That was well done! And I've never had a problem with a break in...

trailbee said...

I'm sending this link to my son. He went to Hawaii two years ago and loved it. This is a wonderful video. Thanks.