Saturday, December 3, 2016

A response to my readers


Yesterday I asked for your input regarding future book projects.  At the time of writing, 49 of you have responded in a comment to that post, while 22 others preferred to do so via e-mail.  Adding up all of the replies, there seems to be broad support for a fantasy novel, with a space detective series attracting a fair amount of interest as well.  Some would prefer a stand-alone novel, rather than a series, while others like the idea of it being open to continuation if it sells well.

I'll cogitate on your replies for a couple of weeks before I make a final decision, but it's likely I'll go with a fantasy novel for next year.  Which one it will be depends as much on the time I have available, and the amount of work I've already done, as on other factors.  I'll definitely write it to be stand-alone, but with the possibility of continuing it in a trilogy or longer series if it proves popular.  (I try to write all my books that way, so that a new reader can pick up any of - for example - the Maxwell series and enjoy it, without having to have read the preceding volumes first.)

The space detective series will also proceed.  I'm going to plot it out more carefully, and I may take that idea to Castalia House for publication from 2018 onwards.  I think a stand-alone book is definitely there, and perhaps a trilogy.  We'll test the waters and see what emerges.

Thanks for your replies and suggestions.  You've helped me to plan my work for next year in a more market-oriented fashion, which I hope will be useful, enjoyable and profitable for all of us.

Peter

5 comments:

Old NFO said...

Looking forward to whatever you decide to do! :-)

TheAxe said...

What NFO said ^ :)

Alfred Genesson said...

Didn't get to weigh in yesterday, but I'd love to see either fantasy story from you.

CGR710 said...

Some time ago you posted a snippet with the story setting in a mongol / turkmen environment. Did you dropped the idea or is this one of the fantasy scenarios? I'd really like to read that whole story...

Uncle Lar said...

I'm with Old NFO, whatever your fertile mind conjures up will be just ducky with me.
I will admit to being quite pleased that you have put the next western high on your priority list.