Sunday, June 8, 2014

Memories of a painful encounter


I was interested to see this footage of a helicopter using an underslung powered saw to trim tree branches near a power line.





It reminded me of a painful encounter with a nest of African wasps dislodged by a helicopter doing powerline clearance work in Southern Africa during the 1980's.  The chopper wasn't using anything as sophisticated as that powered saw, but rather dragging a sort of grapnel, if I recall correctly - I don't know precisely why.  Be that as it may, it hacked into a wasp nest, and the angry critters decided that anyone nearby must have had a hand in the desecration of their home.  We ran pretty darn fast that day . . . in Army boots with full kit and rifle, at that!




Peter

4 comments:

Roy said...

The entire time I was watching that I was thinking: "What happens if he encounters a sudden crosswind or a bit of shear." It could get exciting down there around those power lines.

Old NFO said...

+1 on Roy... shudder...

Joe E. said...

Here's another one for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_NEAEGeFIw

Differ said...

Astounding...I so need to get a rotorcraft license