Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Would you drink out of a bottle made from sewage?


A news report on the BBC informed me that containers and utensils could now be made out of plastic produced from raw human and animal sewage.  The thought alone was nauseating, but it led me to do an Internet search.  That produced several articles about this new technology.  Even though the concept is off-putting (to put it mildly!), I can see how it would help to greatly reduce plastic waste fill.

Here's a video clip from one of the founders of the company concerned, demonstrating how the process works.  I actually found it quite interesting, despite the subject matter.





I daresay we'll see a lot more of this sort of technology in future - and if we go into space, where landfills are few and far between and raw materials aren't easily gathered, it'll have to be an integral part of waste management.

Peter

1 comment:

Palm City Girl said...

Hi ya! Saw the post from Stephen about your book and figured I'd drop over and see what's what.

This is an interesting concept. Thanks for sharing.