Monday, October 29, 2012

Fridge-shopping


The old fridge we've used since moving here is on the verge of final collapse.  It's leaking water into the fridge compartment from the freezer and ice-maker, and even cutting off the water supply to the latter hasn't cured the problem.  This morning, when I opened the door, my sleepy tootsies were baptized in ice-cold water, which caused me to remember a few relatively expressive words I thought I'd forgotten.  I called a serviceman, but he recommended that I not call him out, because it'd cost me $150 up front, without parts, and given my description of the problem, he thought I'd be wasting my money.  He pointed out that it's cheaper to replace most fridges today, rather than pay for a major repair.

The last time I bought a fridge was about a decade ago, in another state, so I wasn't prepared for the sticker shock of going online and pricing what was available.  Their prices have at least doubled since last time - no doubt due to the fact that they're all imported, because thanks to the Fed's printing of money like there's no tomorrow, the dollar has lost a significant amount of value against foreign currencies over the past few years.  I rapidly decided that there was no way Miss D. and I could afford something new.

Fortunately, our housemate told us about a 'seconds' store nearby that sells goods damaged in transit, or repaired after a malfunction under warranty that caused the original to be replaced with another unit.  Their prices are significantly discounted from list, and I was able to find a very nice Whirlpool unit, with only minor cosmetic blemishes, that was affordable.  It'll be delivered on Wednesday.

I have to say, though . . . looking at the prices of appliances today, I honestly don't know how couples starting out in life together can afford them - at least, not new.  When I furnished my small home in 2003, I spent about $1,500 to buy a decent-size fridge, a washer, a drier, and a chest freezer.  Today, that sum would buy me only a new fridge, and it wouldn't be as nice as the one I bought in 2003!

Peter

4 comments:

Shrimp said...

We have Appliance Factory Outlet here in the Denver area. Same idea as what you have there--new, but scratched, dented, etc, full warranty. I've always purchased fridges used or scratch and dent. They're too expensive otherwise. In fact, the only appliance I've purchased new was my dishwasher because I couldn't find the brand and model I wanted at AFO.

If they're taking your old unit (and charging you extra for the privilege) don't let them take it. Craigslist it (assuming you're anywhere near a big city). There will be some recyclers out there to take it for free. I've gotten rid out several large appliances this way, as the recyclers will repair those that they can, and use the rest for parts.

DOuglas2 said...

Your problem is solved, and the suggestion of the seconds store is a good one.

Although fridges have gotten much more efficient, they are still one of the biggest power hogs in a house. So there is the small comfort that the high cost of a new fridge will be offset in savings long-term over the life of the fridge, if it lasts that long -- I'm guessing that the fridge that failed is not the one you purchased in '03, but one that was acquired with the house...

For reference of others seeing this post, I've fixed similar problems on a couple of fridges with a complete defrost - unplug the machine from power and leave it doors open until it is dry.

Old NFO said...

Yep, costs ARE rising MUCH faster than the salaries are... And scratch and dent IS the way to go these days. I'll gladly pay less for a few minor scratches...

Ben C said...

My younger brother got a part time job at Best Buy for about a year as he saw an upcoming need for several new appliances in the home he and his fiance recently purchased. The extra cash helped some, the employee discount helped lots.