Monday, February 14, 2011

Thoughts for Valentine's Day


I was amused to come across several snippets of information and/or levity that shed new light (sort of!) on Valentine's Day.

The Vancouver Sun published ten little-known facts about the day. Among them were:

2. Yes, roses ARE red.

The most cliched Valentine's Day greeting didn't start out as a cliche, of course. It was once a poem with meaning, to someone:

The rose is red, the violet's blue
The honey's sweet, and so are you
Thou are my love and I am thine
I drew thee to my Valentine
The lot was cast and then I drew
And Fortune said it shou'd be you.

- from Gammer Gurton's Garland, published in 1784.

. . .

9. Bitter cards are best sent without a signature.

Vinegar valentines came into fashion in Victorian era. Instead of the sweet sentiment included in a Valentine's Day card, a vinegar valentine contains an snide remark, usually a cartoon, and are sent anonymously, as an insult.


There are more at the link.

Next, Old NFO publishes a list of Valentine's Day rhymes. The first line is conventional . . . the second, anything but! Here are a few examples.

2. I see your face when I am dreaming.
That's why I always wake up screaming.

. . .

5. I thought that I could love no other
-- that is, until I met your brother.

. . .

11. What inspired this amorous rhyme?
Two parts vodka, one part lime.


Again, more at the link.

Finally, I Can Has Cheezburger? came through for the day with this gem. Click the picture to be taken to this year's Valentine's Day page on ICHC.






Peter

No comments: