Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I don't believe my eyes!


A news report today out of New York, via England, has me shaking my head in disbelief.

A mob hitman stunned the underworld yesterday when he renounced his membership in La Cosa Nostra and revealed that he is gay.

Robert Mormando - a divorced father of two - said he is denouncing the Mafia and living as an openly gay man.

He clearly rejected the blood oath he made to the criminal organization when he appeared in court in New York charged with an attempted hit.

'That's the first time I've heard this in court,' Federal Judge Jack Weinstein said. 'I've asked many Mafia members and they've always refused.'

Defence lawyer Nancy Ennis said: 'He has been openly gay since he left the mob.'

He is now living a 'peaceful working life' with his partner who, despite his controversial stand, has refused to enter a witness protection programme, Ms Ennis said.

Members of the Mafia do not accept a gay lifestyle within its ranks although there is no specific rule that inductees must accept.

Former DeCavalcante crime boss John D'Amato was murdered in 1992 for being gay.


There's more at the link.

Of all the things I never thought I'd read about, a gay Mafia hit-man has to be way, waaaay up there on the list! I mean . . . where does one start? Doesn't this make 'La Cosa' a wee bit too 'Nostra' for comfort? As for becoming a 'made man', or 'making one's bones' - the opportunities for comment are just too delicious!

On the other hand, for 'street cred' points, I know the perfect weapon for a gay Mafia hitman. Wearing that, you'll never lack for bling, and your bones (or, rather, those of your enemies) will be made in true Mob style!



Peter

1 comment:

LabRat said...

Never heard of Ronnie Kray?