Sunday, July 19, 2009

I love happy endings!


Call me soppy if you wish, but this news report made me smile with real happiness.

A couple have married after they were reunited when a long-lost love letter sent ten years ago was found unopened behind a fireplace.

Steve Smith and Carmen Ruiz-Perez, both 42, walked down the aisle on Friday following a separation of 16 years.

The pair fell in love and got engaged in their 20s after Carmen moved to England as a foreign student.

But after a year-long relationship the couple drifted apart when she had to move back to France.

A few years later Steve wrote to her in a bid to rekindle their romance - but Carmen's mother put it on the mantlepiece and it slipped down the back of the fireplace.

It remained there unopened for the next decade until the fireplace was removed for renovations.

Carmen - who had remained single and never forgot the love of her life - was given the letter in which Steve had written: 'I hope you are well. I was just writing to ask if you ever married and if you ever still thought of me?

'It would be great to hear from you, please get in touch if you can. Steve XXX.'

Factory supervisor Steve said: 'I didn't write much because I assumed she would be remarried. I never thought it would take ten years to hear back.'

Carmen said she was initially too nervous to call as so much time had passed but plucked up the courage and the pair arranged to meet.

They met up in Paris a few days later and have now wed - 17 years after they first fell in love.

Steve, of Paignton, Devon, said: 'When we met again it was like a film. We ran across the airport into each other's arms.

'We met up and fell in love all over again. Within 30 seconds of setting eyes on each other we were kissing.

'Now we're married, I'm just glad the letter did eventually end up where it was supposed to be.'


There's more at the link, including pictures.

I love happy endings! That's my feel-good story for the week, I think.

Peter

No comments: