Thursday, June 4, 2009

When auto giants compete . . .


I'm laughing at an advertising wrangle between Audi and BMW that's being played out on California billboards at the moment.

Audi fired the first shot:




BMW responded:




Audi countered:




Since I'm not in the market for either car, I can afford to laugh at the shenanigans. Audi's also produced this anything-but-tongue-in-cheek video advertisement, showing their car driving through a certain Italian town famous for - how shall I put it? - bright red sports cars.





Fun stuff!



Peter

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dare say history will look more fondly on the Ferraris than it will on the Audi R8. Granted, it is quite a performer, but it isn't much too look at.

Jim

Old NFO said...

Agree with Reflectoscope, but it's fun to watch :-)

ZerCool said...

Audi (a subsidiary of VWAG) has had some pretty good ad campaigns over the years. I sold their cars for about a year and a half, and thoroughly enjoyed driving them, even though I could never afford one. :) At the time, VWAG was using Chiat-Day advertising, who gained fame in a big way with the advert series for Apple's iMac in 1997.

I don't know if I still have the poster, but I had one on my wall for quite a while of the three Audi R8's (the REAL R8 LeMans car) running down a road in LeMans, with a tag line about their completing the 24 Hours in 1-2-3. I believe it was 2000...

I'm glad to be done with the auto business, but there are moments that I miss the opportunities it presented me. The 1972 Jag XKe was one of those opportunities. :)

Thanks for some memories.