Monday, March 16, 2009

Your cellphone - a health hazard?


I'm feeling a bit creeped-out by an article in ComputerWorld.

Cell phones harbor thriving colonies of bacteria and viruses. Researchers say, for example, that cell phones are major carriers of superbugs in hospitals. Now, a new gadget helps you sterilize your phone!

It's no wonder cell phones are so disgusting. Our hands are dirty -- we shake hands with people who are sick, touch bathroom door knobs and pet the dog -- and our mouths spew whatever disease-causing viruses and bacteria are infecting our bodies. Cell phones are constantly coming into contact with both hands and mouth. When they're not, they tend to be tucked a way in pockets, a nice, warm environment that promotes the growth of microorganisms.

Researchers at Ondokuz Mayis University in Turkey tested the cell phones of 200 doctors and nurses and found that nearly all -- 95 percent -- were tainted with bacteria, with some carrying the MRSA superbug that can sicken and even kill patients and that cannot be defeated with any antibiotic. They concluded that doctors and nurses were infecting patients with their cell phones. In the US, MRSA is the cause of most hospital infections.


More at the link.

Here's a video report on germs cultured from a random sampling of cellphones in Arizona. It's eye-opening, to say the least!





Creepy indeed! As soon as I finish my blog posts for tonight, I'm going to clean all my phones, cellular and landline alike!





Peter

4 comments:

Andrew C said...

I'm not too worried about it. We have bacteria everywhere, and they will always be everywhere no matter what we do. I can tell you one thing though: I won't be licking my phone any time soon!

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the computer.....

phlegmfatale said...

Those anti-bacterial wipes are possibly life-savers. Also, I have one of those phone condoms, and I run it through the dishwasher every so often. *sheesh*

Anonymous said...

If you're worried, get a Nextel phone. Mine is made with "AgION, which kills bacteria.

Antibubba