Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A recession-proof product?


According to Gawker, there is one.

What's one of the only consumer products with steadily rising sales in the midst of this financiapocalypse? "Clinical" strength deodorant! Because Americans are growing nervouser and nervouser. Also we're all suckers!

All these "clinical" strength deodorants started coming out a couple years ago, as America grew more self-conscious. Last year sales were up almost every month! Which is great for "Big Deodorant," because these 'clinical' products have only 25% more of the active ingredient, but they cost more than twice as much.


Quite frankly, I didn't even know the stuff existed, and I don't need it (at least, I don't think so - I'll have to check with my friends!). Still, it's an object lesson in how marketers can make us fall for gimmicks. Add a bit more, sell for a lot more. Suckers, aren't we?

They'll come up with something to top it soon. As one of the commenters on the Gawker article observed:

I am anxiously (and sweatily) awaiting the subsequent release of "emergency room-strength" deodorant.


I suspect Ambulance Driver's already trade-marked it!



Peter

No comments: