Monday, February 23, 2009

Foot-feeding fishes forbidden in Florida


I'm amused to see that Florida has banned the use of fish for pedicures.

My initial reaction was "Huh?" But, believe it or not, there seems to be a growing fad to have your tootsies nibbled by fishies to remove dead skin - at a price. I'm used to getting a pedicure (since my spinal injury, it's hard for me to reach my feet to do it myself). However, the price quoted in this video would buy me two full conventional pedicures, so I'm not tempted to try the piscatorial version, thank you very much!





I have to admit to laughing as I read Florida's reason for banning the procedure. Would you believe it's because "there's no way to disinfect a pool of fish in between uses"? Did anyone ask the fish how they felt about being sanitized?

Personally, having had the misfortune to be around several dozen pairs of rather aromatic tootsies during my military service, I'd think the fish in Florida will be more relieved to be free of this burden than anyone else! Some of those feet would have gagged a maggot . . .

Peter

2 comments:

Mikael said...

I've read about this practice before, and the place the news featured replaced not just the water, but the fish as well(who were now full after their meal anyway) between customers.

Simeron Steelhammer said...

There are several articles on this and this has been done in Asia for decades (at least).

The fish are NEVER full from what I can tell and eat and eat and eat until they can't find anymore dead skin to pull off.

The water is changed between customers and the fish are very well cared for because they are litterally the life's blood of the business.

Only thing I have been told is that it "feels odd" as they are nibbling on you.

I have not had it done but have thought to try it.

As for the price, that is DOUBLE what it is in Houston. remember you are talking EAST COAST prices and the prices for everything on the coasts (west or east) is higher then in the middle of the country.

For example, a one bedroom apartment in LA costs about $1500 a month now.

One bedroom in Houston runs about $450.