Monday, February 23, 2009

The Beatles - highly strung?


I'm amused to discover a new blog, dedicated to playing the entire repertoire of The Beatles - on the ukulele!

Initially I was sceptical. I mean, most of the ukulele players I've heard have been enthusiastic amateur musicians - with emphasis on the enthusiasm, double emphasis on the amateur, and none on the musician! Nevertheless, I went to The Beatles Complete On Ukulele, read the articles, and listened to some of their efforts. I have to admit, I'm reluctantly impressed! They're not bad at all.

Intrigued, I looked further. I found that on YouTube, there are lots of videos of Beatles songs played on the ukulele. Most are abominable, but this one, a rendition of George Harrison's 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps', is spectacularly good. I just had to include it here.





Kudos to the musician, and I'll be looking for more of his work.

Peter

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I admire talent in all its forms, and music in particular; how would it be if we could all use this performance as a reference for considering the ukelele? It is a tool, and it obviously can be wielded to good effect in the right hands.

Jim

Anonymous said...

I really like "My Guitar Gently Weeps". I looked up Dandelion Wine and they're an indy group from NY and you can't buy their CDs, if they have any. Although, you can listen and buy MP3s from their Myspace page - just not that one.

Violet Roses said...

Hello all, I wanted to let you know that The Beatles Complete on Ukulele project has gained some great press and attention. the music is absolutely free, so I encourage you to sign up for the itunes automatic download. some incredible complex and layered interpretations by two masters.
Go to

http://www.switchpod.com/p22777.html

select "Add to iTunes"

and it will sync with your itunes as a podcast

cool huh?

Anonymous said...

I loved it! Bravo!!!!